September 16, 2016

I Love You So Much I Want to Eat You - Aunt Stories

I literally do not know how my brother and sister-in-law walk around knowing how much they must love their little ball of fat and happiness.  I can barely control myself when I am away from him for more than a few days.  Being an aunt is the best.  I am never the boss, I am always the fun, huggy, lovey person who buys him fun things and picks him up when he falls but doesn't have to be the bad guy.

I had drinks with a former boss and current friend who wanted to warn me that she was going to give me a hug when she saw me.  I didn't come from a hugely affectionate family, Irish people, at least from New England, are not super affectionate.  I would give one because you know, I am not a monster. However, I let her know I am now full of hugging, hand holding, and kisses because of this little, fat, seemingly drunk, emotionally unstable monster.

I love this small fool.  He reminds me of all the best things about my brother and sister-in-law, myself and our families all rolled into one.  He doesn't even know how wonderful life is but he is freaking crazy happy about Cheerios.  Imagine how much his mind would be blown when he learns about money and alcohol... I kid, I kid.  There are memories I have of beauty, heartbreak, and laughter that I wish I could show him now but in time he will feel them and be amazed.

I did not know anything was missing in our family until Fatty McGoo showed up.  Having someone so unbearably happy and loving towards you is an awesome gift.  He was so happy to see me this week, he cried, he literally collapsed and cried until I picked him up and squished him. What an unstable gremlin.  And yet I was like, I KNOW I FEEL IT TOO.

So thank you, you small wonder, you deranged and unbalanced perfection, thanks for being my nephew and making me a better, more open and hopeful person.  I will try to be all the things you think I am if you promise to stop pulling my shirt down in public, that's just not cool dude.



No comments:

Post a Comment