February 17, 2012

Bustamente! Barcelona part 1

I'm in love... I'm in love with a city, I fell in love (unrequited) with a person, and fell back in love with life.  I feel like myself again in a way I haven't since the last time I was in Europe and even while I sit here 24 hours after my return hacking away with a torturous cough, I can't help but smile.  While Paris overall has more beautiful things in general to see, it cannot hold a candle to the quality of beauty Barcelona contains.  


I don't know if it was my tearful experience atop Gaudi's Casa Batilo (the most beautiful thing I have ever seen) or the moment La Vie en Rose (yes I know a French song) played in the tiniest cafe I've ever been in, but I can't stop thinking about every moment of my time there and when I can next go back.  I loved the men stopping their work to come outside of a building to yell 'guapa!' as we passed by and the copious amount of pork products I consumed. I loved that even the stones that line the Passeig de GrĂ cia are beautiful.  I mean I was happy to be back in Boston last night.  I missed my city but Barcelona certainly has potential to woo me away.  I think I was all wrong about thinking of moving to another US city.  I think I need to learn Spanish,beyond asking how to order a drink that is, and  high-tale it back there asap.


I met so many interesting people from all over the world who only cemented the fact that people are good, brilliant, and open if you give them the chance.  I was lucky enough to know someone who would allow my crazy to stay at her place for a week and allowed me to cry on her shoulder when she knew that's what I really needed.  I try never to cry in front of people because I see it as being weak but sometimes, when you least expect it, emotion takes over and there's nothing you can do.  it doesn't make you any less strong but only lets people see how human you really are.  


I laughed more than I have laughed in years and opened myself up so I could see what would happen.  I don't know why I'm so intense here and while equally intense in a personality sense, I am somehow less worried about doing 'something' and would rather see what is coming and take it.  I'm sure my crazy amount of energy is not to every one's liking.  I love a night home here and there but I can also run like the energizer bunny for days if I'm feeling it.  For the first 5 nights I even slept really well... despite the fact that we went to bed between 4 and 7am.  Although my lack of appetite and over consumption of Mauritz y vodka con limon eventually caught up to me and spent the last 2 days completely awake.  I ended my time in Barcelona in the rooftop bar of the W overlooking the Mediterranean with some amazing ladies and delicious drinks.  I am lucky.


There will be at least 2 more parts to my trip... with photos of course.  These will include:
A Spaniard lady who wanted to make my acquaintance, me addressing a group of Spanish men with a grand offer, me acting insane but in a good way, me realizing GOD there really are people out there I could fall in love with, and my breath being taken away by the real city that never sleeps.  


So hold onto your hats but ta ta for now, I need to nurse this cough, strap on my Hello Kitty fleece booties, and catch up on my tele.  But I will leave you with my cheesy add on of lyrics from one of my favorite songs a la David Gray - 



Hey better realize my friend

Lord in the end now you can't take it with

Gotta live

If only for a second
I see a twinklin in your eye


No comments:

Post a Comment