February 13, 2014

Show and Tell... nothing

One thing I've learned from online dating is that everyone is "laid back" and "easy- going" and they have a plethora of hobbies like surfing, golfing, volunteering, tough mudders... and the like.  You know what I've learned about my hobbies from online dating?  I have none.  Also, I am neither "laid back" nor "easy going" I'm intense, passionate, driven, and organized.  In fact, the only time I am easy going is when I'm traveling and typically, that's somewhere with a historical, fact filled journey with 14th century castles and old really tough bread, like when you're not sure if it's hardy or just lint filled... now that's my idea of a good time!


                              eating-hobby.gif
I won't lie... well I will, sometimes because it's fun. However, I will say, ever since I was little when schools would hold show and tell, I always felt a pang of anxiety... hobbies, skills... I don't have those.  A 7-year old with palms wringing, furrowed brow, I mean, "What do you want from me?!"  I wish I liked things, truly I do, but in reality I love useless facts, delicious things, laughing really hard, locating dogs who want to be my friends, shiny objects, daytime drinking, and chatting up strangers. So, the important things.
                         
Oh, sad for you Mr. Darcy... so tell me about your childhood, were you a popsicle or fudgesicle type of kid?


So, after careful observation, one might say that my key audience are those overly educated, fancy types, who like to throw in a loose cannon for entertainment purposes for their cava fueled yacht outings.  I mean if Bravo wants to sell that show, I'll be the first sad sack waiting in line to sign up. 



                               
I guess there are benefits to being a sponge and only taking in so many things, I mean I am good at pub trivia, I read a lot, I can talk to anyone... but I still have hobby envy.  What are your hobbies? Are you a sommelier, a cheese aficionado, a 17th century French literature lover or Baroque art admirer... or  can you run really fast... like super fast and maybe jump over some shit?  Nice, I mean nice dude.



                                               

Maybe on my next date I should just make up a bunch of hobbies and learn to love them. However, I hope one day I will meet the right guy who thinks my dvr-ing of The Kardashians, and Real Housewives marathons are endearing, and thinks my overly analytic, sometimes tangent travelling, mind, with distractions ranging from dogs to sparklies...  interesting.  But, alas, it has yet to be.  I mean I totally respect people's preferences for a partner who shares their activities.



Well, that's not entirely true, I don't wait in lines, standing in queue is ridiculous one percent meets bourgeois nonsense, although I do look better standing up rather than sitting, but I would ask someone to hold my place, I would totally do that.  Beyond potential Bravo-lebrity what is my draw? I wish I was someone who could master a skill set and run with it.  Instead, I know very little about many things. I do know that I am smart, fun, and obviously, humble.

                            

And at the end of the day, I want what every girl wants, for her man to say those few words that sets hearts a flutter...
If I need to start doing... things - I'll do it, I swear, I am that committed.  Just no skiing, or running, or bungee jumping, or triathlons... but you know, I'm flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment